Which essential oil to perfume your home?
Smells, just like tastes and colours, are unique and personal. However, some scents are more appealing than others and have found their way into many homes. Do you remember the last time you walked through a door and suddenly smelt an enchanting scent? It’s a great feeling isn’t it? By the end of this article, you’ll know everything you need to recreate this sensation by choosing the perfect essential oil for your home. But that's not all; essential oils also have great purifying and cleansing properties for your interior.
Choose an essential oil to perfume your home based on its properties
Lavender essential oil
- Antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral.
- Lavender oil can contribute to a good night’s sleep! Its relaxing properties help you fight against sleep disorders, and can also be used to relieve stress.
- Ideal to get rid of lice or moths.
- Helps fight winter ailments such as a cold.
- A few drops of lavender essential oil (about 7) on a washcloth that goes in the washing machine will delicately perfume all your laundry.
Lemon essential oil
- Cleanses the air thanks to its bactericidal, antiseptic and anti-odorant properties.
- Energising and fortifying action.
- Its fragrance instantly gives a feeling of cleanliness throughout your home and helps you get rid of persistent bad smells in the refrigerator for instance.
Cinnamon essential oil
- Antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal.
- Confers a comforting atmosphere to your home thanks to its warm and sweet scent.
- Known for its aphrodisiac properties.
Orange essential oil
- Antimicrobial and soothing.
- Can be used to clean surfaces and floors around your home.
- Gives an irresistible smell to your laundry… You could almost eat it!
Lemongrass essential oil
- Antiseptic, anti-odorant and antimicrobial.
- Repels mosquitoes and ants that make their way into your home.
- Cleanses the air thanks to its purifying effects and creates a fresh and healthy atmosphere.
Peppermint essential oil
- Healthy properties for body and mind, perfect for feeling good at home!
- Energising, purifying and cleansing fragrance for home surfaces, especially in the bathroom.
- Much like lavender and orange, peppermint essential oil can be used to scent your laundry.
How to diffuse essential oils and perfume your home?
Using an essential oil diffuser
There are essential oil diffusers specially designed for perfuming your home. Simply add a few drops of your favourite essential oil into the diffuser, and let it spread the wonderful scent around.
Using a tissue
Don’t want to invest in a diffuser? No problem, a single tissue can spread fragrances in your home! Place two or three drops of essential oil on the tissue and leave it in the room of your choice. This handy solution is most effective in small rooms such as the bathroom. You can also use a cotton pad.
Using a vaporiser
Mix water with the essential oil of your choice in a vaporiser, preferably made of glass. It is recommended to add an average of 6 drops of essential oil for 30 millilitres of water. Some essential oils such as lemon can be added to your household products to enhance their effectiveness.
Other solutions to perfume your home
Very easy to use, scented candles can enhance any interior and perfume your home.
A perfume diffuser is an original and aesthetic way to scent the various rooms of your home for long hours.
A few sprays of home fragrance towards the ceiling are enough to fill your home with an enchanting scent.